1.1 What we do
Ross House Association Incorporated (the Association, we, us, our) is a not for profit organisation which provides support to small, community based organisations, primarily by providing facilities for them at Ross House in Flinders Lane, Melbourne
We are committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth) and the National Privacy Principles. This Policy is designed to give you a greater understanding of how we collect, use, disclose and otherwise handle personal information.
1.3 What is personal information?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Examples include your name, address, date of birth and email address. It is irrelevant whether the information is true or not or whether it is recorded in a material form.
1.4 Copy of this Policy
2. What we collect
The type of personal information that we collect depends on the types of dealings you have with us. For example, if you:
- enquire about, apply for or continue membership of the Association, we may collect your name, address contact details, date of birth and other information relevant to membership or a particular category of membership.
- enquire about or enter into a tenancy or lease agreement in Ross House, we may collect your name, address, contact details, payment details and other information normally required for a tenancy or lease agreement.
- hire a meeting room and/or other facilities in Ross House from us, we may collect your name, address, contact details payment details and other information normally required for such an arrangement
- enter into any other agreement with us, we may collect your name, address, contact details, the nature of your engagement with us and payment details
- use our car park, we may collect your name, address, payment details and car registration details
- are our employee or apply for employment with us, we may collect your name, address, date of birth and other information relevant to employment or proper consideration of an application for employment.
- apply to or consent to receiving our newsletters or bulletins, or otherwise join our mailing list, we may collect your name, address and contact details
- are our financial or other supporter, we may collect your name, address and other information relevant to membership or a particular category of membership.
- otherwise provide us with information (either unsolicited or at our request)
- we may collect your name and relevant contact details
- send us an enquiry or provide us with feedback, we may collect your name, contact details, details of your enquiry or feedback and information about our response
2.2 Sensitive information
Sensitive information is a subset of personal information that is generally afforded a higher level of privacy protection, including, for example, health information and religious beliefs or affiliations. We do not normally collect sensitive information. We would only do so where it is reasonably necessary for our functions or activities, required or authorised by or under law, or you have consented for us to do so.
3. How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a number of ways, including in person, by correspondence (e.g .mail, facsimile, email ) telephone, through our website or other form of electronic communication) and through forms , applications, documents and agreements that you complete .
4. Why we collect personal information
The main purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information are to:
- perform our functions and carry out our objects as described in section 1.1
- promote the Associations objects, the services it provides and the facilities available at Ross House
- obtain products and services
- perform research and statistical analysis
- answer queries and resolve complaints
We may also collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for other purposes explained at the time of collection or:
- which are required or authorised by or under law; or
- for which you have provided your consent.
5. Who we may share your personal information with
We may share personal information with third parties where appropriate for the purposes set out under heading 4. These third parties may include financial institutions (for payment processing), your agent or authorised representative, and our contracted service providers (for example, our advisers).
In each case, we may disclose personal information to the service provider and the service provider may in turn provide us with personal information collected from you.
Otherwise, we will not disclose your personal information to any third party without your express consent. We will not make our mailing lists available to third parties.
6. Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
7. Access and Correction
If you would like to access or correct the personal information that we hold about you, please contact our Privacy Officer (details under heading 9 below). We may require you to verify your identity before processing any access or correction requests, to make sure that the personal information we hold is properly protected.
If you have a complaint about how we have collected or handled your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer (details under heading 9 below).
We will endeavour to deal with your complaint, and take any steps necessary to resolve the matter, within one week. If we are not able to do so, we will ask you to submit your complaint in writing. In most cases, we expect to investigate written complaints and provide a response within 30 days of receipt. If the matter is more complex and our investigation may take longer, we will contact you and tell you when we expect to provide our response.
If you are not satisfied with our response, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
9. Our contact details
Please contact us if you have any queries about the personal information that we hold about you or the way we handle that personal information. Our contact details are set out below.
Mail: Michael Griffiths, Privacy Officer
Ross House Association, 247-251 Flinders Lane, Melbourne VIC 3000
Telephone: 03 9650 1599
10. Changes to this Policy